HISTORY OF PALACETE ARANTES
At the end of the nineteenth century the Barão de Torrados sold to the Brazilian capitalist Adelino Arantes his estates, located in Infias, then near Braga, made up of agricultural lands - three estates - and his manor house.
Adelino Arantes, a native of S. Pedro da Balança, the son of farmers, soon arrived in Brazil, where, thanks to his persistent work, he raised a high fortune. As a supplier of the state of Pará, his earnings, earned with honored experience allowed him to return to Portugal and to reside in Braga, since business in Brazil would be in charge of his partner.
Married and with children he thought of building in the city, a house that would live up to his economic and social position. Having had the information that the Barão de Torrados had put up for sale his properties in Braga, he established contacts with this Lord that reached prolific. Once the deed of purchase, Adelino Arantes, judging that the baron's seigneurial house was not in accordance with his desire to impose himself in the midst of the then Bracaran society, he chose to destroy the old mansion and to make an entirely new one to the taste of wealthy Brazilian. After much thought he decided to entrust the project of his palace to an architect from Porto who was the coach of a small house that was just being built in the city of Porto.
He called to his company his brother - Monsignor Arantes - who parochia a parish near Braga. As one of the things that prevailed as a rich believer and Brazilian imposed on the architect that in the design of the building, it would have to be included a chapel, that in fact still has Palacete where then Monsenhor prayed daily mass. Everything went smoothly, one of the daughters marries a member of the best and most distinguished family of Braga. After a few years, Brazil's business started to go bad. On the one hand, his partner disrupted the commercial house and the assets he had in Portugal were made up of shares of the Brazilian State, the Fumo and Alcohol. The crisis that occurred in Brazil, and in the world, occurred around the 30's of the last century, was reflected in the Brazilian companies that not only stopped paying dividends but even the shares lost their full value.
Faced with this situation, Adelino Arantes, decided to sell his mansion, and thus to make the best of his life. Poorly advised and because he was an individual confident in all, he sold, in 1943 or 44, very badly whole set - house and farms walked around 900 contos. He retired soon after his second widowhood to a home where his days were over. The new owner was a large-scale "volframist" who chartered ships (we were still in world war.) We all know, and most of all, who lived through these calamitous times, that the business of the wrench was very subject to great taunts. Of the tungsten was about $ 700, but after half was already $ 800.It was according to the announced arrival of the freighter ships.It was serious that it was in the interests of the boobies.It was said that, in connivance with many charters, , It was a single top layer and the rest was purely earth.
And this is how the palace went to the Marino family. Continuing with the story, António Marinho, who was a widower without children, married in 1949. Dona Mara Amélia Cunha. A few years later, António Marinho, passed away his widow being a usufruct of the Companies of Transport Auto-Motora founded and belonging of António Marinho. After several and delayed diligences, formed a society constituted by the widow and several nephews of both sides that continued with the exploration of trucking. With the 25 of April, the nationalization takes place but, Palacete Arantes, was not part of the estate of the companies and was part of.
Meanwhile Dona Maria Amelia dies and the palace enters the heirs of this Lady who, in turn, were not interested and could not inhabit such a large house and accordingly solved the problem as it is today. This is, therefore, the history of that mansion that is now at the service of Tourism, and should note that its structure that marks the taste of the "Brazilians of Torna Viagem" remains, in essence, was projected in 1900.
Braga, August 19, 2012